Dr David Barnes
Senior Research Fellow
Head, Image Analysis & Informatics
Monash Biomedical Imaging, Monash University
Monash e-Research Centre, Monash University
BSc (Hons), The University of Melbourne
PhD (1998), The University of Melbourne
Tel: +61 3 9902 9753
Fax: +61 3 9902 9817
Affiliations and memberships
- International Astronomical Union
- Life Sciences Computation Centre (LSCC), Victorian Life Sciences Computational Initiative, Melbourne
- Scientific and data visualisation
- Computational signal processing and image analysis
- Visualisation-led discovery
- Biomedical imaging
Dr David Barnes is a radio astronomer by training. earning his PhD for work undertaken at the School of Physics (U/Melb) and the CSIRO Parkes 64m radiotelescope. David's development of novel algorithms for processing and imaging the data recorded by the telescope's new Multibeam receiver was critical to the success of the largest and most ambitious survey of extragalactic neutral Hydrogen ever undertaken.
David has held software development, project scientist and senior research positions at CSIRO, The University of Melbourne, and Swinburne University of Technology. He has led research teams to deploy next-generation radiotelescope equipment in remote outback locations, and has contributed to data management standards via the Virtual Observatory Project. David co-led the Scientific Computing and Visualisation research group at Swinburne, a group whose focussed work in terascale data analysis and visualisation is unique.
At Monash Biomedical Imaging, David will be combining his interest in imaging and visualisation algorithms with his recent work in high-performance computing using Graphics Processing Units (GPUs), with a view to exploring novel approaches to image reconstruction, analysis and visualisation-led discovery in biomedical imaging.
- Almorsy, M., Grundy, J., Sadus, R., van Straten, W., Barnes, D.G., Kaluza, O., 2013. A suite of domain-specific visual languages for scientific software application modelling, IEEE Symp. Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, San Jose, 2013, accepted short paper.
- Barnes, D.G., Vidiassov, M., Ruthensteiner, B.R., Fluke, C.J., McHenry, C.R., Quayle, M.R., 2013. Embedding and publishing interactive, 3-dimensional, scientific figures in Portable Document Format (PDF) files, PLoS ONE, accepted 2013 June 10.
- Bernardi, G., Greenhill, L.J., Mitchell, D.A., ..., Barnes, D.G., ..., 2013. A 189 MHz, 2400 square degree polarization survey with the Murchison Widefield Array 32-element Prototype, Astroph. J., accepted 2013 May 13.
- Hassan, A. H., Fluke, C. J., Barnes, D. G., 2011. Interactive visualization of the largest radioastronomy cubes, New Astronomy, 16, 100.
- Barsdell, B. R. , Barnes, D. G. , Fluke, C. J., 2010. Analysing astronomy algorithms for graphics processing units and beyond, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 408, 1936.
- Ruthensteiner, B. , Baeumler, N. , Barnes, D.G., 2010. Interactive 3D Volume Rendering in Biomedical Publications, Micron.
- Ivanova, E. , Truong, V.K. , Wang, J. , ..., Barnes, D. , ..., 2010. Impact of nanoscale roughness of titanium thin films surfaces on bacterial retention, Langmuir.
- Thompson, Alexander C., Fluke, Christopher J., Barnes, David G., ..., 2010. Teraflop per second gravitational lensing ray-shooting using graphics processing units, New Astronomy, 15, 16.
- Barnes, David G. , Fluke, Christopher J., 2008. Incorporating interactive three-dimensional graphics in astronomy research papers, New Astronomy, 13, 599.
- Bowman, Judd D. , Barnes, David G. , Briggs, Frank H. , ..., 2007. Field Deployment of Prototype Antenna Tiles for the Mileura Widefield Array Low Frequency Demonstrator, Astronomical Journal, 133, 1505.
- Barnes, David G., Fluke, Christopher J., Bourke, Paul D., ..., 2006. An Advanced, Three-Dimensional Plotting Library for Astronomy, Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia, 23, 82.
- Wyithe, J. Stuart B., Loeb, Abraham, Barnes, David G., 2005. Prospects for Redshifted 21 cm Observations of Quasar H II Regions, Astrophysical Journal, 634, 715.
- Barnes, D. G. , Briggs, F. H. , Calabretta, M. R., 2005. Postcorrelation ripple removal and radio frequency interference rejection for Parkes Telescope survey data, Radio Science, Volume 40, Issue 5, CiteID RS5S13.